Re: st: RE: Decision on trimming the data

From   Rijo John <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: RE: Decision on trimming the data
Date   Tue, 22 Jun 2004 21:50:23 +0530 (IST)

Dear Nick,

 Thanks for your reply. Actually my problem is as follows. I have a survey
data with so many observations. The distribution of the variables I am
considering are not normal. The standard OLS regression suffers from
Heteroscedasticity even after log transformations as any one would expect
in survey data. So my idea is to run a LAD regression (median regression
using qreg) which is not affected by outlier values compared to OLS. The
LAD is also robust to heteroscedsticity compared to OLS. So while doing it
I also want to compare the result between standard OLS and LAD. I also
want to check if I trim the outliers will OLS estimates come close to the
LAD estimates. This is what I want to do. I hope I make myself clear.

Regards,
Rijo John.