st: RE: Decision on trimming the data

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Decision on trimming the data
Date   Tue, 22 Jun 2004 17:07:56 +0100

I guess there's a literature on this somewhere,
but it doesn't seem that trimming of tails
before regression ever caught on as standard practice
(unless there's a subdiscipline that does it all the
time, as a living refutation of this guess).

The key question to me is what is your underlying
problem? Worrying about long tails is often
best met by quantile or robust regression or using
transformations or non-identity link functions.
Far simpler and better supported than tinkering
with the tails...

Rijo John