RE: st: Competing Cause Mortality

From   "Stephen P Jenkins" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Competing Cause Mortality
Date   Thu, 3 Jun 2004 14:57:18 +0100

Could someone please offer some clarification for me in this discussion
of competing risks models?  Is the key issue to do with whether one
assumes that the cause-specific hazard rates are independent or not?

If they are independent, and survival times are continuous rather than
interval-censored then the likelihood function for CR model factors into
a set of terms each epending on each cause-specific hazard. Hence the
overall CR likelihood can be estimated via separate maximization of the
likelihood of models for each cause-specific hazard in which exits via
other causes are treated as censored.  In my view, the point that has
been made about censoring is to do with the way in which the model is
estimated, rather than about the model itself.

If competing risks are not independent, then economists typically assume
a "multivariate mixed proportional hazard model" (MMPHM), allowing for
dependence between the unobservable factors influencing each risk.
(Latent survival times are assumed independent conditional on the
observed and /unobserved/ variables, rather than independence
conditional on observed vbles as in the standard ICR model.) See e.g. GJ
van den Berg (2001) "Duration models: specification, identificaton, and
multiple durations", in JJ Heckman & E Leamer (eds.) Handbook of
Econometrics Volume 5, Elsevier, Amsterdam, especially section 8.2.1.
[See also a recent paper by Abbring and van den Berg in the JRSS about
identification of such models.]

Do these multivariate mixed proportional hazard models enable one to
address the issues that correspondents have raised?  If not, in what
senses are they seen to be deficient?

Stephen
Professor Stephen P. Jenkins <[email protected]>
Institute for Social and Economic Research
University of Essex, Colchester CO4 3SQ, U.K.
Tel: +44 1206 873374.  Fax: +44 1206 873151.
http://www.iser.essex.ac.uk