st: RE: RE: treatment of "$" in graphics text

From   "Jann, Ben" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: treatment of "$" in graphics text
Date   Sat, 22 May 2004 22:52:45 +0200

Nick wrote:

> So, in order to get past the guard dogs,
> Agent Ryan, you need a sausage for every dog. Whether there
> is a clever way of nesting \$ I don't know, but I
> doubt it, and in any case that would be an impractical
> strategy, as you would have to know _exactly_ how many sausages
> were needed, or more prosaically how many times your code would
> get interpreted: with the new graphics' deeply nested
> structure, not just of ados but also of class-based
> stuff, goodness knows what the answer is.

This is not really a problem of the nesting. That is, from a
user's perspective it should not be. I think, that the nesting
structure of the underlying commands should be irrelevant for
the users and that the graph commands schould be fixed!
(i.e. the strings should only be interpreted once and passed
through using macval() thereafter. I don't see why this would
not be possible.)

ben