st: RE: Axis starting other than at zero

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Axis starting other than at zero
Date   Wed, 19 May 2004 18:02:49 +0100

Many people call this a scale break. There may
well be other terms, especially in languages
other than English.

Stata does not support scale breaks as such.

You could add ticks on both sides of the axis
in question but it would be difficult to do
anything more elaborate, or so I guess.

As with many small graphical design issues, this
one divides people pretty starkly. There
have been some lively exchanges on Statalist.

Start with Ernest Berkhout's post
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2003-05/msg00293.html
and witness a exchange in which no one (including
myself) seemed to budge a nanometre from pre-existing
views despite hearing strong arguments from the other
side of the view break.

There is also a Stata FAQ on this but I guess that
the answer there is not the one that you want.