st: RE: RE: RE: inputting string variables in comma-separated files

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: inputting string variables in comma-separated files
Date   Wed, 19 May 2004 15:40:02 +0100

I don't know why you say that about -tostring-.
Consider the results of

. sysuse auto
. tostring mpg, format("%05.0f") replace
. l mpg

I regard this as a straightforward solution.
There are others, but my suggestion stands.

Rebecca Kalmus

> Once I've read the comma-separated file into Stata, Stata has
> already read
> the variable as numeric.  The leading zeros are already gone, so
> converting the variable to string using tostring doesn't help.
>
> In the past I've gotten around this problem by converting the
> comma-separated file to Stata format using Stat/transfer,
> with which I can
> specify that the variable should be read as string.  However, it seems
> like there should be a more straightforward solution.

Nick Cox

> > A good bet in this circumstance is to make
> > it a string variable again using -tostring-.
> > Make sure you specify a format which produces
> > leading zeros.

Rebecca Kalmus