Re: st: RE: RE: inputting string variables in comma-separatedfiles

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: RE: inputting string variables in comma-separatedfiles
Date   Wed, 19 May 2004 15:03:22 +0100

A simpler solution might be to add an extra cell in your excel column with
a letter in it...
Then STATA will know to read that column in as a string.. then just delete
the
extra cell.

cheers
Ade

Adrian Mander MSc PhD, Principal Statistician, GlaxoSmithKline, Mail Code
HW8133, New Frontiers Science Park (South), Harlow, Essex, CM19 5AW. Tel:
01279 63 1203 Fax: 01279 64 4677

                      "Rebecca Kalmus"
                      <[email protected]>

                      Sent by:                         To:      [email protected]
                      owner-statalist@hsphsun2.
                      harvard.edu                      cc:
                                                       Subject: st: RE: RE: inputting string variables in comma-separated files

                      19-May-2004 14:44
                      Please respond to
                      [email protected]
                      d.edu

Once I've read the comma-separated file into Stata, Stata has already read
the variable as numeric.  The leading zeros are already gone, so
converting the variable to string using tostring doesn't help.

In the past I've gotten around this problem by converting the
comma-separated file to Stata format using Stat/transfer, with which I can
specify that the variable should be read as string.  However, it seems
like there should be a more straightforward solution.

Rebecca Kalmus