Re: st: Stata (gllamm) benchmarks for different platforms?Re: st: Stata (gllamm) benchmarks for different platforms?

From   Michael Ingre <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Stata (gllamm) benchmarks for different platforms?Re: st: Stata (gllamm) benchmarks for different platforms?
Date   Tue, 20 Apr 2004 08:32:45 +0200

On 2004-04-19, at 22.59, Alan Riley wrote:

> We have recently run some tests which indicate that the fastest
> platform you can buy right now on which to run Stata is AMD's Opteron.
> We have tested a 2 GHz Opteron using -gllamm- and found that the
> Opteron outperformed both an Apple G5 and a 2.8 GHz Intel P4.

 I guess some of the speed advantages comes from the 64-bit Linux. And we are still waiting for Apple (and Microsoft) to release their 64-bit OS.

But how much faster is the Opteron/Linux64 than Apple G5/OSX?
Is it 1%, 10% or even 100%?

> Apple's dual G5, for an application like Stata which only makes use
> of a single processor at a time, will not run gllamm (or any other
> Stata code) significantly faster than the same computer with only a
> single processor would.  For any application which does not take
> advantage of multiple processors (most applications do not), the
> only advantage a multi-processor machine gives you is that you can
> run multiple instances
of applications more quickly.  It will not
> provide any noticeably better timings for a single application.

Am I correct in assuming that, if I sport a dual G5 and start a heavy -gllamm- analysis (that would take about a week), I could still run a second instance of Stata (as well as other programs) and enjoy full G5 power for -gllamm- as well as my other work?

Thanks again

Michael