st: RE: How to generate preceding dates from a particular date

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: How to generate preceding dates from a particular date
Date   Wed, 14 Apr 2004 23:13:49 +0100

If I understand this correctly, you have
one dataset in memory, say

. use data041004

and observations are for people (say),
with some identifier variable. If an
identifier, say

"William W. Gould, President"

exists in that dataset, you want to know
if there are observations in other datasets
with the same identifier.

If this is the right description, you can do very
little unless you combine these datasets into one,
presumably with -append-. Stata can tell you
some basic things about datasets not in memory,
such as what variables they contain, but it
will say nothing about individual observations.
No local macro will help on this.

MITRA PINAKI