st: RE: Re: return list and by

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: return list and by
Date   Tue, 13 Apr 2004 10:43:35 +0100

To expand on a few points:

1. The -egen- route is naturally fine whenever it
offers the statistic you want to keep. Note that
when you go

by person : egen mean = mean(whatever)

That mean will be repeated for every observation
for each person. For many purposes you will want
to use each mean just once. Tagging is one way to
do that

egen tag = tag(person)

tags just one observation for each person. Then
you can follow up with

... if tag

If you look inside the -mean()- function you
will see that it does not use -summarize-.

2. -statsby- is what I call a reduction command.
You will get one observation for each person, in your
problem, i.e. you will lose the existing dataset.
Roger Newson's set of commands is another
example of a reduction approach.

3. Doing it yourself with a loop is not too
difficult, but you must loop over groups at
a minimum. One FAQ which may be of help is
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/foreach.html

Persons will have integer or string identifiers,
so using -levels- is often effective. Taking
your program

> program mean_get
> syntax [varlist]
> foreach i of local varlist {
> generate overall2 = 0
> by name, sort:  summarize `i', meanonly
> local 1 = r(mean)
> by name, sort:  replace overall2 = `1'
> }
> end

let's forget that -egen- exists and write a program
that puts means of a varlist into variables -mean_*-
for a division by some required variable.

program mean_get
	* NJC after Clint Thompson 13 April 2004
	version 8
	syntax varlist(numeric), by(varname)

	// check new names will be OK
	foreach v of local varlist {
		confirm new var mean_`v'
	}

	// this will fail if `by' is not categorical
	qui levels `by', local(B)
	capture confirm numeric var `by'
	local isstr = _rc != 0

	qui foreach v of local varlist {
		gen mean_`v' = .
		if `isstr' {
			foreach b of local B {
				su `v' if `by' == `"`b'"', meanonly
				replace mean_`v' = r(mean) if `by' == `"`b'"'
			}
		}
		else {
			foreach b of local B {
				su `v' if `by' == `b', meanonly
				replace mean_`v' = r(mean) if `by' == `b'
			}
		}
	}
end

I added a bit more checking. There is still much that
could be added e.g. support for -if- and -in-.

Michael Blasnik

> most directly:
>
> by name: egen overall2=mean(`i')
>
> will put the mean of var `i', calculated for each value of name, in
> overall2.  Of course, this value will still be overwritten by
> the next var
> in the varlist if your loop is left as shown.
>
> More specifically, when you use constructs such as -by x:
> summ y- , you
> can't get at the individual results -- it's quite frustrating
> when you first
> discover this.  Instead you either have to write your own loop across
> groups, or else you may be able to use an -egen- function or
> -statsby- (or
> perhaps -parmby-).

[email protected]