st: Re; favorite math eqn editor

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re; favorite math eqn editor
Date   Thu, 18 Mar 2004 12:30:58 -0500

On Mar 18, 2004, at 2:33 AM, Merlin wrote:

So, I have a question for all of you using the Windows operating system who
must write a lot of equations in your publications, lectures, etc. What
editor would you recommend/what is your favorite editor? If you have
experience with more than one equation editor, what were the pluses and
minuses of each?
I don't use Windows, but the answer is platform-independent. Use LaTeX, and whatever front end you wish to use with it (which will determine how much of the LaTeX language you wish to learn). For Windows, the combination of MikTeX + WinEDT (which is very low cost) is a good one, I am told.

One great advantage is that the same LaTeX code that you would write, e.g., in a journal article, you can run through LaTeX with document type = slides, and you will get the equations auto-resized to projectable format. And best of all, you don't need Power Point or the like -- you can include graphics in LaTeX docs (e.g. Stata graphs) easy enough. And you will never have a problem with 'version XPsuperduper of Equation Editor in M$ Word does not like the files generated by the prior version' which has bitten many of my Windows-using acquaintances...

Kit

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/