RE: st: RE: Using weights with tabulate command

From   A Castelli <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Using weights with tabulate command
Date   Thu, 18 Mar 2004 16:47:49 -0000

Thank you for your help,

I had actually tried already the [iw=weight01]. The percentages are
exactly the same with both [aw=  ] and [iw= ]. The only thing that does
change is the total frequencies. Thank you for pointing it out in your
e-mail, Iu had not actually noticed it.

Adriana
(I am a she, by the way)

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Richard
Williams
Sent: 18 March 2004 16:34
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: RE: Using weights with tabulate command

At 04:11 PM 3/18/2004 +0000, Nick Cox wrote:
>With -tabulate-, weights are assumed to be frequency
>weights unless otherwise indicated. Your weights
>sound like analytic weights.
>
>. by country: tab illness [aw=weight01]
>
>With -summarize- weights are assumed to be analytic
>weights unless otherwise indicated.

Also, for the purposes of the tab command, he might want [iw=weight01].
It
depends on what the goal is.  This would give you the estimated number
of
households in each country that have a particular characteristic, e.g.
there are are an estimated 400,000 people in the UK with illness 1.  You

might get Ns in the millions, even though the sample is only a few
thousand.  With aweights, the weights will be rescaled to reflect the
sample Ns.  -help weights- provides more info, even better is section
23.16
of the User's Guide.  Stata's weighting options are more extensive than
what I was used to so reading through that section was very helpful to
me.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX:    (574)288-4373
HOME:   (574)289-5227