st: graph export png on linux console

From   chris wallace <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: graph export png on linux console
Date   Tue, 16 Mar 2004 12:14:35 +0000

I am using stata-se version 8.0 on linux, with the latest available stata
executable update (30 Jan 2004), and ado-update 19 Feb 2004.

I am trying to export a previously saved graph to png and eps formats.
Using xstata-se, I can do

. gr use mygph

. gr export mygph.eps
(file mygph.eps written in .eps format)

. gr export mygph.png
(file mygph.png written in PNG format)

Using stata-se however (in a console), I get

. gr use mygph

. gr export mygph.eps
(file mygph.eps written in .eps format)

. gr export mygph.png
translator Graph2png not found
r(111);

I am confused that Graph2eps works, but not Graph2png.  The manual makes no
mention of Graph2png specifically for unix-console.  The only relevant part I
can find is:
    Note for Stata-for-Unix(console) users:  Follow the instructions just
    given even though you have no Graph window and cannot see what has just
    been "displayed":  Use the graph and then export it.

Is this something anyone else here has experienced and solved?

Many thanks, Chris.