st: Re: Inconsistancy of Monte Carlo in STATA

Subject   st: Re: Inconsistancy of Monte Carlo in STATA
Date   Thu, 11 Mar 2004 08:42:25 -0500

You don't provide us with any of the code used, so a response would have to
rely on supernatural methods that seem at odds with the typical
statistical/scientific orientation of most Statalist users.

Michael Blasnik
[email protected]

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nomoreno" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2004 8:26 AM
Subject: st: Inconsistancy of Monte Carlo in STATA

> Hello all,
>
> I encounter a weird STATA problem and I am hoping I can get some help
here.

> I wrote some code for a one-shot Monte Carlo simulation, and I have
another master do file to call this one-shot Monte Carlo simulation program
and run it 100 times. In this master file, I also set two global variables,
N and T as for the dimension of the data for one shot Monte Carlo program. N
= 5, and T varies from 20, 30, ... to 80. The results for N = 5 and T=30 is
very weird. To be more specific, the results are way off my exception.
However, if I just run N=5 and T =30 Monte Carlo simulation alone, I get
correct expected results.

> I am wondering whether anyone here has any clue what's going on with
STATA? I mean, it is the same program and just T varies from 20 to 80. All
the simulation results for any T are close to what I expect except T = 30
produced very weird outcomes. If I ran that simulation alone, I got expected
results. It does not make sense to me and this inconsistency drives me
crazy...