RE: st: Problems with downloading the collinearity program from

From   "Clive Nicholas" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: Problems with downloading the collinearity program from
Date   Wed, 10 Mar 2004 06:17:33 -0000 (GMT)

Semilla M. Rivera wrote

> Hello, I attempted to download this collinearity program from within
> STATA by using the "findit collin" command and recieved this error
> message. Any suggestions on what I can do?

[...]

> package name:  collin.pkg
> from:  http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/ado/analysis/
> checking collin consistency and verifying not already installed...
> installing into c:\ado\plus\...
> could not rename c:\ado\plus\stata.trk to c:\ado\plus\backup.trk
> r(699);

Then Richard A. Williams responded:

> You might just try downloading something else and see if the problem
> persists.  But, are you out of disk space?  See
>
> http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/statatmp.html
>
> Also, do you have write access to the C: drive? r(699) is an
> insufficient disk space error, but perhaps other problems can trigger
> it.  If you are out of space, I would delete some files you don't need.

And Semilla M. Rivera replied:

> Thanks, Richard.  I think I solved the problem.  I found the actual
> program do-file and copied it into a do editor window and ran it.  It
> looks like the program was downloaded successfully.
>
> Anyone interested, the syntax can be found at:
> http://ideas.repec.org/s/boc/bocode2.html ; click on COLDIAG: Stata module
> to perform BWK regression collinearity diagnostics

I've just discovered I have the same problem. After trying to download
-makematrix- and -tableplot-, I get the same error message as that
displayed by Semilla in her first post.

This make no sense. My system is using less than 25% of its capacity. I
went to http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/statatmp.html and followed
the instructions for Win2K users (i.e., setting up a STATATMP directory: I
used the same path as the pre-existing temp files for Stata). This hasn't
made any difference. I even deleted a busload of .dta files I didn't need
to save space. No joy there, either.

In the meantime, I'm copying .ado and .hlp files from the SSC wesbite into
my C:/ado/plus directory (analogous to what Semilla is now doing, I
suspect), but I don't want to keep doing that since the automatic install
procedure ought to work. It worked last week, for instance, when I -ssc
inst panelauto-. I fail to see why I shouldn't work now.

Any ideas?

CLIVE NICHOLAS        |t: 0(44)191 222 5969
Politics Building     |e: [email protected]
School of Geography,  |f: 0(44)870 126 2421
 Politics & Sociology |
University of         |
 Newcastle-upon-Tyne  |
Newcastle-upon-Tyne   |