st: problem with normal curves with histogram , by()

Subject   st: problem with normal curves with histogram , by()
Date   Wed, 3 Mar 2004 17:22:17 -0500

I just tried using histogram with the by option and requesting a normal
density curve along the lines of:

histogram myvar if this=1, normal by(groupvar)

The resulting graphs for each groupvar have normal density curves that
apparently differ from graph to graph, but they are mostly wrong -- they do
not come close to the curves drawn when issuing the same command on
individual groups and they often seem to have nothing to do with the data in
the plot.  Is this a bug or am I using this incorrectly?

Michael Blasnik