Re: st: Linux text editors

From   "Neil Shephard" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Linux text editors
Date   Wed, 03 Mar 2004 15:23:32 +0000

> 1.	Does anyone have recommendations for a favorite for such a
> multiplatform editor?

My personal preference is Emacs with Bill Risings Stata major-mode.  I use this on
various Linux & windoze platforms at home and work, and have never had any
problems (in actual fact I don't know where I'd be without the syntax highlighting and
bracket/quote matching)

> 2.	Does it need to be multiplatform? i.e. if I work on my Win machine
> and use EditPlus, is there going to be any problem editing those do
> files with a different text editor on the Linux machine?

I very much doubt it.  Emacs will tell you that the file was generated under DOS (and
therefore has funny ^M for carriage returns and some other meta-character which I
can'r remember for ends of files).  So even if you decide to only use Emacs under Linux
for editing text files it won't have any problem reading them (and in my experience
executing them in Stata).

Some useful commands under Linux you may wish to keep in mind is dos2unix and
unix2dos (which do exactly what they say and convert text files backwards and forwards
between the two formats).

Just my tupence,

Regards

Neil
Neil Shephard
Genetics Statistician
ARC Epidemiology Unit, University of Manchester

"Contrariwise, if it was so, it might be; and if it
were so it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's
logic" - Tweedledee (Alice Through the Looking Glass)