Re: st: maybestupid

From   "Neil Shephard" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: maybestupid
Date   Wed, 03 Mar 2004 14:10:30 +0000

> Now I know why I posted this "stupid" question  :
>
> 1)
>  -qui sum var1
>  -scalar s = r(sum)
> works as well as :
> 2)
>  - qui summ var1
>  - scalar s = r(sum)
>
> I know about qui and summ(arize),
> but why does delineation 1) work as well ?????? /same results
> I am a little bit confused !

In the same vein...

qui su var1
scalar s = r(sum)

would also work, the point I think you've missed is to do with the abbreviation of
commands.

All three examples are 'expanded' by Stata to read

quietly summarize var1
scalar s = r(sum)

The key is to look at the letters in the syntax diagram for the command you are using
which are underlined (see man -summarize-).  These indicate the minimum
abbreviation of the command name that is allowed.  Thus the man page for -describe-
underlines just d (formatting ommited to avoid enriching the text) so....

de
des
desc
descr
descri
describ
describe

are all the same to Stata in the same way as -sum- and  -summ- invoke the same
command (i.e. -summarize-)

HTH's

Neil
Neil Shephard
Genetics Statistician
ARC Epidemiology Unit, University of Manchester

"Contrariwise, if it was so, it might be; and if it
were so it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's
logic" - Tweedledee (Alice Through the Looking Glass)