Re: st: possible problem with GLM command

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: possible problem with GLM command
Date   Thu, 29 Jan 2004 12:04:21 -0500

Just a quick thought as to what may be the problem. Using the log link with the bernoulli family (binomial with a response of 1 or 0) results in fitted values that may lie outside the 1/0 bounds, which is an assumption of the Bernoulli parameterization of the binomial family. Because of this, and depending on the specific nature of the data, convergence problems may occur. You may find that using the -irls- option clears up the problem.

James Hardin, who co-authored the glm command with me, wrote a program for binomial models with non-standard links some years back. It was published in the STB. Fitted values that exceeded 1 or 0 were internally truncated at each iteration. I forget the name of the program, but you can probably find it by using the -lookup binomial- command in Stata. It should work.

Joe Hilbe