st: RE: Comparing change in rates - frustrating problem, please help

From   "Kieran McCaul" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Comparing change in rates - frustrating problem, please help
Date   Thu, 29 Jan 2004 14:28:00 +0800

This is paired data.  Each person has two responses: their before and after

If you have one record per person and their seatbelt wearing is recorded as:
before no=0/yes=1
after  no=0/yes=1

and intervention group is coded
intervention no=0/yes=1

then you could use:
mcc after before if intervention == 1
mcc after before if intervention == 0

This will give you two tables that will estimate the odds ratio - the odds
of wearing a seatbelt after, versus the odds before.  So an odds ratio of 2
in the intervention group would mean that the odds of people in this group
wearing a seat-belt in the post-intervention period were twice the odds of
wearing a seat-belt in the pre-intervention period.

This won't give you a test between these two tables, however.

To do this, try the following, I think it will work.

Reshape the data do that each person now has two records: their 'before'
record and their 'after' record.  You'll need a variable to identify which
pair of records belong to the same person - personid.

Code the variables like this:

intervention no=0/yes=1
period       before=0/after=1
seatbelt     no=0/yes=1

Now run:

xi:clogit seatbelt i.intervention*i.period,group(personid)

you'll get:

beta(period) and beta(intervention*period)

no beta for intervention because it doesn't change for a person.

The p-value associated with the interaction term tests the hypothesis that
there is no difference in the period effects between the intervention
groups - i.e. changes in seat-belt wearing were the same in both groups.

If it is significant, however, then
the odds ratio in the non-intervention group will be exp(beta(period))
and in the intervention group it will be
exp(beta(period)+beta(intervention*period)).

These should be the same as you get using mcc above.

Kieran