Re: st: unit-specific indicators vs. unit-specific baseline hazardsin survival analysis

From   Murray Finkelstein <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: unit-specific indicators vs. unit-specific baseline hazardsin survival analysis
Date   Sun, 25 Jan 2004 07:57:01 -0500

If you want unit specific baseline hazards, then stratify on unit, ie strata(unit)

Alexander Tsai wrote:

Dear Statalisters,

I am fitting some Cox proportional hazards models to data where
individuals are clustered within units. I could include unit-specific
indicators (eg., by including dummy variables for each unit), but I
would like to adopt the more general specification of unit specific
baseline hazards (that would allow not just the intercept but also the
shape of the baseline hazard to account for fixed differences across
units).

So far I have been reading the Stata 8 manual and the Stata book on
survival analysis by Cleves/Gould/Gutierrez, but I am at a loss as to
how to do this in Stata. I imagine it must be something simple that I am
missing...

Thanks,
Alex

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/

--
Murray M. Finkelstein  PhD MD CCFP
Department of Family and Community Medicine

e-mail: [email protected]
Phone: 416-326-7879
Fax: 416-326-7761