st: Re: running Stata in batch mode

From   Christopher F Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: running Stata in batch mode
Date   Mon, 19 Jan 2004 06:51:20 -0500

On Jan 19, 2004, at 2:33 AM, Tim wrote:

Can Stata for Unix operate in a similar fashion? If I have a network Stata
license for Unix can I submit jobs in batch mode from my PC (with a Window
OS) or do I have to have a PC with Unix installed? Can I submit "batch"
jobs as I would with SAS?

Your remote server is a "mainframe", so you can connect to it with any terminal emulator program (even the crappy telnet client built in to Windows, but I would suggest finding something better) and command Unix Stata to do whatever you would like. From the Mac OS X laptop on which I type, I open a console window (no need for a terminal emulator, since OS X _is_ Unix) and say "ssh -l baum econ.bc.edu" to connect to the command line on my Unix server (ssh is secure telnet). Then "stata -b do program" will start a Unix batch job, run program.do, create the output in program.out. I can view the output on the Unix machine using "cat" or "more", edit it with a command-line editor like "pico", and pull it back to the laptop system with an FTP client (on a PC, WS_FTP LE is recommended). So you do not need Unix on your local system, be it Windows or Mac. If you want to see graphs, etc. run something like VNC (virtual network computing) that will enable you to view the XWindow GUI of the Sun on your PC desktop (VNC is free). But if all you need is the command line (and "tail program.log" to see whether the batch job worked or not), you don't need the GUI. Note that once you have started the Stata batch job you may log off the Unix machine; Stata will just clank away on its own (make sure the sysadmin allows a suitable number of concurrent batch jobs).

NB: a Unix Stata n-user network license constrains the number of _distinct usernames_ who are concurrently using Stata, not the number of processes they're running. If you run that batch job (which will take a while, let's say) and then start up Stata interactively on Unix to look at some other stuff, you are still only taking up one user slot on the license (not two).

Kit

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/