Re: st: Re: Multicollinearity diagnostics

Subject   Re: st: Re: Multicollinearity diagnostics
Date   Sun, 18 Jan 2004 09:31:02 -0500

At 08:09 AM 1/18/2004 -0500, Christopher F Baum wrote:
On Jan 18, 2004, at 2:33 AM, Richard wrote:

Now, I've read that there are different ways of computing the eigenvalues
and condition indices; can anybody offer any insights as to what should
generally be preferred or when you should prefer one approach over
another?
Read the Belsley and Welsch book (or the earlier Belsley, Welsch and Kuh) cited in the Stata manual (and in most textbooks in their discussion of collinearity issues).
Thanks Kit. I found another Stata module, -coldiag-, which gives yet a third estimate of the condition number! But it, too, gives the same results as the other methods when variables are centered first.

Like I said before, my intuition rebels against the idea that a collinearity diagnostic is dependent on the addition or subtraction of what may be an arbitrary constant to a variable (unless maybe the variables are truly ratio with a non-arbitrary zero point.) However, I did find a few articles by Belsley and others last night indicating that this was one of those raging controversies in statistics that I have somehow managed to remain blissfully unaware of (when your typical data set is closer to 30,000 cases than to 30, multicollinearity tends not to be that big of an issue). Looks like I have some more reading to do. Rich

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: [email protected]