st: Multicollinearity diagnostics

Subject   st: Multicollinearity diagnostics
Date   Sat, 17 Jan 2004 17:25:06 -0500

I've made the mistake of trying to update my course notes on multicollinearity and find that I'm bogged down when it comes to eigenvalues and condition indices. Specifically, I've been comparing the results produced by SPSS's -collin- parameter on its -regression- command and the results produced by -collin- in Stata (which is an add-on module; type -findit collin-). What I am finding is that

* If I first center the variables in SPSS (i.e. subtract the mean from each variable) both Stata and SPSS produce identical results.

* If I don't center, SPSS gives me very different results. (Stata doesn't change whether I center or not.)

* If I am reading the ado file right, Stata -collin- computes eigenvalues, etc. from the correlation matrix of the X's. Spss, on the other hand, presents "the eigenvalues of the scaled and uncentered cross-products matrix."

* In SPSS's favor, it computes the same condition number as William Greene does in his analysis of the Longley data (Econometric Analysis, 4th Edition, p. 258).

* But in Stata collin's favor, it just seems terribly counter-intuitive to me that adding or subtracting a constant from a variable is going to change my conclusions about multicollinearity.

Now, I've read that there are different ways of computing the eigenvalues and condition indices; can anybody offer any insights as to what should generally be preferred or when you should prefer one approach over another? Another text I have says that centered predictor variables are typically used, but that isn't what SPSS is doing and it isn't what Greene seems to be doing if I understand him right. Thanks for any info.

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/