st: Equivalent to SAS output statement in STATA

From   Dick Campbell <[email protected]>
To   "statalist-hsphsun2.harvard.edu" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Equivalent to SAS output statement in STATA
Date   Thu, 15 Jan 2004 10:17:56 -0600

Having used SAS for data management for many years, I have
become addicted to the OUTPUT statement which allows me to
write multiple output records from an input data file. A standard
application is going from wide format to long. Of course, Stata's
RESHAPE does that quite nicely, but there are other instances where
I still feel the need to use Output. I have looked at various web sites
that provide SAS to Stata equivalents, e. g. the Carolina Population
Center's very nice tutorial, but can't seem to find a discussion of
this particular issue. I suspect that most of the tasks I want to accomplish
can be done through some clever application of RESHAPE, but if
someone knows of an FAQ, discussion, comparison or whatever
regarding this particular issue I would appreciate knowing about it.

Richard T. Campbell
Professor of Sociology
University of Illinois at Chicago

Address and other information at: