st: Unbalanced Panel

From   "Vincenzo Verardi" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Unbalanced Panel
Date   Mon, 12 Jan 2004 11:26:22 -0400

Dear all, this is my first message on the statalist, I thus hope to do it right.

I have a problem,

I am working with an unbalanced Panel of about 25 countries and maximum of 7 years (for some countries). As I stated before, the Panel (or better the TSCS) is unbalanced since the time dimension is not the same for all the countries. In addition, I have some time-invariant variables. Given that I work with countries, a random effect is not appropriate and a fixed effect estimator would not allow me work with time invariant variables. I do not want to work with a Hausman Taylor estimator.

I want to do a Pooled Least Squares, but, given that the panel is unbalanced, I fear to give a too big importance to some countries with respect to others. I thought to use regress with a pweight option but I do not see how I could do it (the 25 countries are not randomly chosen). Can anyone help me on thisor can suggest some readings?

Thank you very much for your help,

regards

Vincenzo

MSN Amor: busca tu � naranja http://latam.msn.com/amor/