st: rank sum test & interval length

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: rank sum test & interval length
Date   Thu, 08 Jan 2004 11:17:28 -0700

Greetings Statalisters,
Suppose I have two variables where one is the outcome of interest (dichotomous) and the other is ordinal (mild, uncomfortable, annoying, & debilitating).  My question is this: is it possible to change the "interval" between strata of the ordinal variable, that is, if the clinician can justify asserting that, for example, "annoying" is 'five times worse' than "mild" and "debilitating" is 'eight times worse' than "mild", is there a way to incorporate that assessment into a non-parametric test, e.g. Wilcoxon rank sum?  In short, I suppose I am addressing two issues:  interval length of the ordinal variable and "importance" of the severe responses (annoying & debilitating) relative to mild.  Would something like this even be acceptable statistically and justifiable mathematically (assuming it is clinically justifiable), not to mention, possible in STATA?  Unfortunately, my cursory search of the literature (and STATA help files) did not turn up anything relevant, any suggestions and/or references I may take advantage of?
Many Thanks,
Clint Thompson
* * For searches and help try: * http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/findit.html * http://www.stata.com/support/statalist/faq * http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/