RE: Missing as true - Was: Re: st: RE: Another Stata feature

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: Missing as true - Was: Re: st: RE: Another Stata feature
Date   Thu, 8 Jan 2004 15:06:23 -0000

I pick the "amiable" happily; I don't detect
any insults in this thread, just a miscellany of comments,
several of which seem irrelevant to what I had to say.

"Consistency" is the answer, in one word. If
one number sorts higher than another, it counts
as greater than it. And if people want to say
that is relevant in one context and not
another, they could well be right. But all
code has to be written to

	do what I say

whereas users still seem to expect that
a program understands this somehow as

	do what I mean

I am happy to learn that SPSS implements
this approach, so that it is readily available
to those who want it. I am reminded of Dennis Ritchie's
canonical comment when asked why C was as spare
as it was, "If you want PL/I, you know where to
find it".

StataCorp no doubt welcome all code fixes
that make it impossible to do silly things.