Re: st: RE: Long arguments passed to programs

From   Michael Ingre <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: RE: Long arguments passed to programs
Date   Thu, 08 Jan 2004 15:59:12 +0100

Nick Cox" <[email protected]>:

> OK. What you want should be possible without
> changes in Stata. The limit on string variables
> is irrelevant here.
>
> Is the number of sublists (separated
> by commas) predictable in advance?

Thanks for your time Nick. The number of sublists are not predictable in
advance. It can be almost any number in theory, but in practice seldom more
than 10. However, I'm not very interested in restricting the number because
it would mean less flexibility.

Allan Reese" <[email protected]>:

> I may be missing something here, but it strikes me as odd to
> routinely pass a very long string as an actual parameter.  Surely you
> put the string in a variable or a macro and pass the *name* of that
> object as the parameter.

Agree. And I will consider it as an option in complex cases when the lists
are very long. In practice though, the lists are often shorter (5-20
elements) with a minimum of 2 elements. I would prefer the syntax to be the
same in simple and complex cases. And that the program works at the command
line.

Michael

PhD-student
Department of Psychology