Re: st: Significance values using -prais-

Subject   Re: st: Significance values using -prais-
Date   Tue, 06 Jan 2004 23:11:45 -0500

At 03:28 AM 1/7/2004 +0000, Clive Nicholas wrote:
All,

First of all, happy new year to all of you!

I wondered if anybody has noticed that, when using -prais-, sometimes the
output model contains t-values that clearly exceed 1.96, but yet show up
as statistically insignificant, even at p<.05 (I don't regard p<.10 as a
particularly useful benchmark for significance testing). Here's an
example, with <enp> the 'offending' variable here:
I've never used this routine, but it looks like the degrees of freedom for the t-tests are 20, right? Which means that the critical values for a given alpha level will be a bit larger than they would be for a z-score. For a T with 20 d.f. the critical two-tailed value for the .05 level of significance is 2.086.

You can double-check the reported sig. levels this way:

. tablesq T 20 4

t(20) = 4
Pr(T <= 4) = 0.9996
Pr(T >= 4) = 0.0004