Re: st: Re: Xtfrontier

From   Eddy <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: Xtfrontier
Date   Mon, 22 Dec 2003 21:59:34 -0800 (PST)

I want to add my two cents to Scott's advice pertaining to
"environmental factors" in the inefficiency equation. Consider a
flexible/general specification of the inefficiency distribution
u~|N(mu, sigma2)|. If environmental factors are desired, one "should"
be able to add those variables through either mu, sigma2, or both.
However, Stata's current -frontier- model only allows for the
following configurations.

 (1) mu=0,       and sigma2=varlist;
 (2) mu=varlist, and sigma2=constant.

It does not support at least the following configurations:

 (3) mu=constant, and sigma2=varlist;
 (4) mu=varlist,  and sigma2=varlist.

Hung-Jen Wang (2002 Journal of Productivity Analysis, p.241-53) shows
why model (4) is particularly desirable. I think he provides his
Stata program, which should estimate all the models above, on his web
site (try search his name on google).

-- Eddy