Re: st: Taking averages, etc.

From   David Kantor <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Taking averages, etc.
Date   Tue, 16 Dec 2003 18:16:54 -0500

For averages (-summarize-) and just about any similar measure or analytical procedure, Stata ignores the missing values -- as if the observations in question were not present. This happens automatically.

(This is different from an expression such as (a + b + c) / 3 , where a single missing value spoils the result.)

Note that for commands that take several variables together, they generally work on the set of observations having no missing values on all the variables under consideration. So, as you adjust the set of variables, the set of observations may shift -- depending on which variables have missing values on what observations.

I hope this helps.