st: graph export and fonts

From   "Jann, Ben" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: graph export and fonts
Date   Wed, 10 Dec 2003 10:38:49 +0100

Hi all

I've noticed a little inconsistency when exporting graphs (Stata 8, Win
XP). If exporting to .ps or .eps a single dash ("-") in text elements is
translated to a medium dash/minus sign (which would be "--" or "$-$" in
LaTeX). However, in Stata's graph viewer and if exporting graphs to
.wmf, .emf or .tif a single dash appears as a regular hyphen (short
dash).

Although the medium dash often is more appropriate (e.g. in the case of
negative axis labels) I think the the .ps- and .eps-filters should also
use the short dash (because it is tolerable to use a short dash as a
minus sign, but it is intolerable to use a medium dash as a hyphen; in
addition, the medium dash causes some problems if I try to edit the
eps-graphs in Adobe Illustrator). Best would be, of course, to have
control over it (i.e. be able to choose between different dashs).

Does anyone know how to change the behaviour of the ps/eps-filter?

Or is it somehow possible to reference "special character" in graphs
(using the character's octal code or something like that)?

Thanks in advance, ben

--------------------------
Swiss Federal Institute
of Technology Zurich (ETH)