Re: st: venn diag query

From   Constantine Daskalakis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: venn diag query
Date   Mon, 01 Dec 2003 19:38:57 -0500

At 06:54 PM 12/1/2003, you wrote:
>Greetings STATAlisters -
>The query that follows may have a straightforward response,
>however, I'm at a loss for a solution so I'm posing the
>question here.  Suppose I have three variables and I generate a
>Venn diagram to assess overlap, is there a way to quantify the
>overlap (aside from the percent returned by the Venn Diagram)
>and/or run a statistical test on the overlap?  My colleague
>suggested the kappa statistic as a means for quantifying the
>overlap but I disagree since kappa measures agreement - can
>anyone suggest an alternative and/or confirm my colleague's
>suggestion?
>Many Thanks,
>Clint Thompson

Overlap IS agreement in a certain sense.
A statistical test testing what hypothesis? The kappa would be perfectly
valid in testing one such hypothesis, namely that the overlap is what would
be expected by chance (allowing for different catchment or inclusion
probabilities for each of the three variables). It is difficult to say
without knowing specifics (what the variables are, what interests you about
the overlap, etc).

The documents accompanying this transmission may contain confidential
health or business information. This information is intended for the use of
the individual or entity named above. If you have received this information
in error, please notify the sender immediately and arrange for the return
or destruction of these documents.

Constantine Daskalakis, ScD
Assistant Professor,
Biostatistics Section, Thomas Jefferson University,
211 S. 9th St. #602, Philadelphia, PA 19107
    Tel: 215-955-5695
    Fax: 215-503-3804
    Email: [email protected]
    Webpage: http://www.jefferson.edu/medicine/pharmacology/bio/