st: Nearest value

From   Ramani Gunatilaka <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Nearest value
Date   Sat, 29 Nov 2003 01:13:43 +0000

Hi everybody,
This is probably a very simple question, but I have not been able to figure out a solution.
I have a data set with consumption and other variables such as number of adults, district, sector for each household.
I need to write a programme that requires selecting the particular household whose consumption is nearest to the mean consumption of all the households.
Can someone please  tell me, what is the Stata command that will do this for me?
Thanks,
Ramani