Re: st: Re: how to save ado files

From   "R. Allan Reese" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: how to save ado files
Date   Fri, 28 Nov 2003 16:31:04 +0000

Steichen <[email protected]> wrote:
>Did you change the name on the -program define- line inside the file
>to match the filename?  That line and the filename must match.

Yet another example of Microsoft "intelligent" software being the
opposite.  I've had similar frustrations using Wordpad, trying to save
something.ado but having to go into Explorer to knock off the
gratuitous .txt.  There does not seem to be a "will you bloody stop
interfering with my filenames" toggle.  A better alternative is PFE,
still available from web archives (search for "Programmers' File
Editor").

While it is a convenient development environment in many ways,
Stata+editor does require the user to remember various steps in
sequence *every time*:
1) save "program something" in something.ado, but you don't have to
   exit the editor,
2) if you have called the previous version in the Stata session,
   use "discard" or it will show you the same error,
3) write code that does not change the data irreversibly.
   "sortpreserve" is a fantastic option for programmers.

R Allan Reese                      Email: [email protected]
Graduate School
University of Hull
Tel +44 1482 466845                       Fax: +44 1482 466436