st: RE: conditional logistic regression

From   Leonelo Bautista <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: RE: conditional logistic regression
Date   Mon, 24 Nov 2003 11:23:48 -0600

Since you've decided to do an analysis match on clinic, I assume you are
worry about a potential confounding effect of clinic. You can control by
the clinic effect using conditional logistic (clogit) or just by
including clinic as a variable in an ordinary logistic regression model.
In fact, because the number of clinics is very small and it seems that
you've matched for logistic reasons (not to increase efficiency), I'd be
inclined to use clinic as a potential confounder in an ordinary logistic
regression model. That way I'd be able to evaluate a "clinic effect",
something that can not be done in a conditional model with clinic as the
matching factor. Now, if you think that clinic is interacting with race,
then you should not adjust for clinic. Instead you should test for the
interaction in an ordinary logistic regression model including a (race x
clinic) term in your model. If the interaction is not significant, then
you should assess whether clinic should remain in the model as a
confounder. You could also test for the interaction by including the
(race x clinic) term in a conditional model (clogit), but I don't see
any advantage over the previous approach.
I hope this helps,

Leonelo E. Bautista, MD, DrPH
Assistant Professor
University of Wisconsin Medical School