Re: st: granger causality and OLS

From   <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: granger causality and OLS
Date   Fri, 21 Nov 2003 15:47:45 -0800 (PST)

Never mind - I got it.

> X               Y
> 77.76959	87
> 80	        87
> 60	        87
> 60
> 60	        86
> 60	        86.99999
> 70
> 70	        92
> 70

> 1.  Why does gcause use fewer observations (3
> instead
> of the 6 available)?

Because it is a system of equations, and therefore it
only keeps the observations where also the lagged
variable of Y is nonmissing.

> If I run gcause, I get the following output:
>
> . gcause X Y, lags(1) reg
> Granger causality test
> Sample:
> 2002m11 to 2003m3
>

>           obs = 3
> H0: Y does not Granger-cause X
>
>                F( 1, 1) =    0.00
>                Prob > F =   1.0000
>
>                 chi2(1) =    0.00      (asymptotic)
>             Prob > chi2 =  1.0000      (asymptotic)

> 2.  Why does it allow to test granger causality if Y
> is dropped in the regression?

The test rejects Granger causality, which is what we
expect since in the three observations used

  > X               Y
  > 77.76959	87
--> 80	        87
--> 60	        87
  > 60
  > 60	        86
--> 60	        86.99999
  > 70
  > 70	        92
  > 70

Y is always 87, and therefore it does not explain
anything because it is collinear with the constant.

Raffaella