RE: st: Another manual idea

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Another manual idea
Date   Tue, 18 Nov 2003 15:49:10 -0000

I don't think anyone needs any persuasion
that many students, people in developing countries,
and others on low incomes (e.g. academics
in Britain), etc. would have some considerable interest
in (much) cheaper versions of even out-of-date Stata
documentation or software. In other words,
the potential _demand_ is not at issue.
(Nor of course is anyone, I hope, against
Stata being spread as widely as possible, other
things being equal.)

But, whether or not Stata Corp answer this,
there is one ineluctable fact. They are not
a charity. They are a business. They operate
conservatively to maintain income flow and
to finance further development. It is the _supplier's_
benefits and costs that are crucial here,
especially given that printing, storage and distribution
costs per page are approximately constant between newer
and older versions. A pile of Stata 7 manuals
sitting in the warehouse is just as expensive
to store as a pile of Stata 8 manuals.

Of course, there are other models, notably
R, but equally the documentation and support
are different.

.pdf = piracy distribution feature,
I fear.

Leonelo Bautista