Re: st: RE: RE: Another manual idea

Subject   Re: st: RE: RE: Another manual idea
Date   Tue, 18 Nov 2003 10:45:53 -0500

The pricing formula for manuals and related issues (.pdf et al.) have been
discussed at length on the list but one thing is clear, the sale of manuals
accounts for a significant portion of StataCorp's revenue.  It is no doubt
their secondary line of business. Changing the pricing strategy, or
introducing .pdf's (I hope I won't be starting a new thread on this) would
correspond to a significant change in business model.
I would think much of this would depend on whether Stata has some big backlog of V. 7 manuals. If so, it could do like bookstores do and sell them at clearance prices or even just give them away to academic programs in developing countries or to libraries. Barring such a backlog, I doubt they'd want to print additional V. 7 manuals.

Richard Williams, Associate Professor
OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227