st: RE: RE: findvar command?

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: findvar command?
Date   Mon, 17 Nov 2003 11:10:39 -0000

Specifically, -lookfor2-, as Dan reports, was a small
enhancement to -lookfor-, written in September 1999.

-lookfor2- is now of no interest for users of Stata 7
and Stata 8, as the main idea was added to -lookfor-
by Stata Corp in June 2001.

-lookfor2- therefore has a relatively small, but not
zero, potential set of users, those still
on Stata 6.

Generally, the answer to Dan's question is
that the responsibility for user-written
programs remains with their authors until
passed on to new authors, or new maintainers,
just as Dan himself has just enhanced -adoedit-
and taken over responsibility for it.

In this case, as -lookfor2- is not quite
useless, the best way forward seems to be
that Dan post his -lookfort- as a separate
program. As no platform currently supported
by Stata has an 8.3 filename.ext limit,
-lookforit- is a possible alternative name.

Dan Blanchette