st: RE: findvar command?

From   Dan Blanchette <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: RE: findvar command?
Date   Fri, 14 Nov 2003 17:20:10 -0500 (EST)

Thanks very much for your help.

I have learned that the command -lookfor- is a base Stata command and
it now "leaves behind the identified variable list for use by other commands"
as Nick Cox's enhanced version of -lookfor-, -lookfor2- (listed on the SSC site), does.

I have decided that I'd like to add three new features to -lookfor-:

1) Do a case sensitive search if the user types any upper case
   characters, otherwise, perform a case insensitive search

   lookfor female
   finds "Female", "FEMALE", or even "feMale" where

   lookfor Female
   only finds "Female"

Thanks to the responses of David Jacobs and Nick Cox:
2) List variables alphabetically

3) Have variable names as clickable links to the data editor that
   opens Stata's data editor to that variable.

I've already made the modifications to the lookfor.ado file.
Should this become the new -lookfor2-?  New name completely?
What's the proper tack to take?

My working name for the program is -lookfort-, as in "Looking for trouble".  ;-)

dan

[email protected]
carolina population center, unc-ch