st: Kendall's tau

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Kendall's tau
Date   Thu, 13 Nov 2003 13:56:47 -0700

Greetings STATAlisters...
I have a question that isn't necessarily related to the syntax
of a command but rather, the appropriateness of the statistic.
As I understand Kendall's tau (otherwise known as Kendalls rank
correlation coefficient), it is most appropriate for ordered
contingency table data; that is, the two variables need to
assume some sort of sequential ordering.  My query is this:  if
one of my variables is ordered (normal-->moderate-->severe) and
the other is continuous (e.g. proportion of total caloric
intake from saturated fat), can I use Kendall's tau to
ascertain some degree of correlation??  Note that my dataset is
small so I am hesitant to employ a parametric test and I want
to know how much the two variables are correlated, not simply
the existence of an association/distribution equality (K-W
test).  I understand there is an issue of the SJ/STB that
addresses an issue similar to this, however, I do not have
access to the journal.
Any help is much appreciated!
Clint Thompson