st: RE: RE: Regression across variables

From   "Wallace, John" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: Regression across variables
Date   Tue, 11 Nov 2003 11:02:23 -0800

Thanks Nick - any implication of non-orthodoxy is purely my ignorance in
these matters.  My formal stat background is pretty weak.  What I was trying
to show is that there is in effect a variable orthogonal to the matrix of
observations (the Molarity value) that I would like to regress the row of
values for each observation against the row of Molarity values (rather than
the column of A values against the column of B values, for example).

The question would be how to introduce the molarity values into the dataset
(each variable corresponds to a concentration level that is being tested)
and how to tell stata to use it in the regression.

If the answer is the same, I'll just have to plug away and see if I can
figure out how my mental picture fits into what you said.

I appreciate the help!

-JW

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick Cox [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 9:59 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: RE: Regression across variables

As I understand it, this is more orthodox
than you imply, and you could think
of the analysis as a series of regressions, except that
you have no covariates, at least that you're
showing us. That's not fatal, however.

. regress A

says in effect estimate the mean of A,
and much of the output you get is based
on the assumption that A follows, or
should follow, a normal (Gaussian, central)
distribution.

Following that with

. test _cons = 0.5

is, perhaps, a long-winded way of going

. ttest A = 0.5

except that if you do have covariates,
the -regress- framework is the one on
which you can build. Ronan Conroy's
paper in SJ 2(3) 2002 is a very nice
example of this principle.

Having said that, the assumption of normality
is important. It wouldn't surprise me if the
distributions were skewed and (say) gamma-like,
so that -glm- is then a better framework.

Wallace, John