st: RE: Modelling with probit

From   "Naji Nassar \(MIReS\)" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Modelling with probit
Date   Mon, 10 Nov 2003 21:18:44 +0100

Joan

I hope I've understood your 'problem' & my remarks will help :
- The group weight : if the group represents, say 80% of the people
concerned with the estimated model, it's 'normal' that the model fits the
group better than the last 20%
- heterogeneity : when you calibrate a standard probit model, you do suppose
that the explanatory has a homogenous impact over all the population. If
it's not the case (latent class approch, mixed modelling..) the standard
model will look like a median between several unobserved models. Your group
can be close to one of those unobserved models
- processing the explanatory variable : suppose that one is modelling buying
a luxuary car (illustrative case), and the group is related to for medium
income. Given their financial & status implication, this group will perhaps
pays more attention to the car & service characteristics. The model will
exhibit higher probability even though the explanatory variable impact is
low..

Regards
Naji