st: RE: Compare two datasets

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Compare two datasets
Date   Fri, 7 Nov 2003 13:11:59 -0000

There are several possibilities. Here is one.
I assume that dataset1 and dataset2 have _exactly_
the same set of variable names, say foo-bar:

use dataset1
gen set = 1
append using dataset2
replace set = 2 if mi(set)
duplicates report foo-bar
duplicates tag foo-bar, gen(tag)
edit if tag != 1

Here the idea is that the operators did their
job properly, each observation should appear
exactly twice, at least if each has an unique
identifier. Any observation appearing just once
or more than twice is then possibly in error.

Xavi Barber