st: RE: generate new variable with frequencies

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: generate new variable with frequencies
Date   Tue, 4 Nov 2003 12:56:22 -0000

The frequencies of -type- can be put
in -typ_freq- by

bysort type : gen typ_freq = _N

If you want to scale to relative frequencies
(sum 1) then you can

su typ_freq, meanonly
replace typ_freq = typ_freq / r(sum)

and percents naturally can be obtained
with a factor of 100.

Some care will often be needed over
missing values:

bysort type : gen typ_freq = _N if !missing(type)
su typ_freq, meanonly
replace typ_freq = typ_freq / r(sum)

Another way to do it:

egen typ_freq = sum(1) if !missing(type), by(type)

Matteo Foschi