RE: st: Avoiding specific values in a local variable

From   "Dev Vencappa" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Avoiding specific values in a local variable
Date   Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:56:21 +0000

Thanks a lot to you both for your solutions.

Dev

>>> [email protected] 10/31/03 10:38am >>>
Scott Merryman replied to Dev Vencappa

> > forvalues x=3111/3909{
> > twoway (line relwage year, sort)  if isic==`x'
> > }
> >
> > I have a panel data set with coded industries, the first
> and last codes being
> 3111 and 3909 respectively. In actual fact, there are only
> about 80 industries
> in total  rather than 799 (3909 minus 3111). Is there a way
> I can ask Stata to
> avoid the remaining 719 industries when looping the command
> over each industry,
> as non-existing industries would produce a blank graph and
> would make the
> looping time-consuming. I know that one option would be to
> define a local of the
> 80 industries, but I am sure there is another more
> straightforward way which I am not aware of.

> Use -levels-
>
> something like this should work:
>
> levels isic, local(levels)
> foreach l of local levels {
>     twoway (line relwage year, sort)  if isic== `l'
>     }

See this in context at

Is there a way to tell Stata to try all values of a
particular variable in a foreach statement without specifying them?
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/foreach.html