st: reshape, and SPSS vs stata (?!)

From   Stephen McKay <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: reshape, and SPSS vs stata (?!)
Date   Thu, 23 Oct 2003 10:31:21 +0100

Statalisters

(for info)
The SPSS command VARSTOCASES (and CASESTOVARS) have similar
functionality to reshape long and reshape wide - and indeed a
menu-driven restructure wizard arguably makes it easier to learn
(esp. given how many people seem to need to ask how to use
stata's reshape ...). That's quite recent SPSS (v11), and the upper
case is optional.

If you're going to combine SPSS and Stata use, and some of us do, I'd
advise against having $ signs in the variables (OK in SPSS, not in
stata).

With versions 8 and 12 respectively, Stata and SPSS are probably more
alike now than before (eg stata with menus and multiple missing-values,
SPSS with long variable names and -svy- style commands).  The
user-bases continue to be very different.

Steve McKay