st: Re: matrix with averages and p-values

Subject   st: Re: matrix with averages and p-values
Date   Thu, 2 Oct 2003 11:37:24 -0400

Presumably, you've thought about the issues with testing multiple hypotheses
here....

If you just wanted this once, you could do it using a simple loop within
your do file, but to make it multi-purpose, a simple program would be best.
Here's one that will do what you ask (assuming you want the p values from
simple t-tests) and put the results in a matrix.  I adapted some code I
already had that did something somewhat similar -- it's pretty basic but
does include using value labels for labeling rows/columns when they are
available.

program define mymat
version 8
syntax varlist(numeric max=1) , by(str) mat(str)
confirm numeric var `by'
qui levels `by', local(bys)
local size: word count `bys'
mat `mat'=J(`size',`size',0)
forvalues i=1/`size' {
 local ival: word `i' of `bys'
 local ilab: label (`by') `ival'
 if real("`ilab'")<. local ilab "`by'`i'"
 local ilabs "`ilabs' `ilab'"
 forvalues j=`=`i'+1'/`size' {
 local jval: word `j' of `bys'
 qui ttest `varlist' if inlist(`by',`ival',`jval'), by(`by')
 mat `mat'[`i',`i']=r(mu_1)
 mat `mat'[`j',`j']=r(mu_2)
 mat `mat'[`i',`j']=r(p)
 mat `mat'[`j',`i']=r(p)
 }
}
matrix rownames `mat'= `ilabs'
matrix colnames `mat'= `ilabs'
end

you would use it for your example as:

mymat Price, by(State) mat(pricebystate)

and it would create a matrix called pricebystate with the results you seek.

(assuming that State is a numeric var with value labels --if not, encode it
first)

I'm not sure how displaying the resulting matrix with 50 columns may look,
it may be best to drop _all and use svmat to create a dataset with the
results.

Michael Blasnik
[email protected]